Move stranded vehicles
Residents with stranded vehicles in the middle of the roadway or an intersection are expected to move their vehicles to the side of the road, preferably a parking lane, immediately. To reopen traffic flow, the Department of Public Works has towed some abandoned vehicles blocking roadways. Owners can pick up vehicles free of charge at the Auto Pound Lot at 400 N. Claiborne Ave. The lot hours are 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m. and can be reached by phone at 504-658-8284.
Clean a flooded vehicle
- Disconnect the battery and do not start the car.
- Remove standing water from your vehicle's floor using rags, buckets, and/or a dry vacuum. Remove the seats if necessary.
- Dry out your car interior by air drying or using high-volume fans. Do this as quickly as possible to avoid mold growth.
- Deodorize your vehicle with baking soda, towels, and a vacuum.
- Evaluate the extent of the water damage, including controls, electronic system, and dashboard indicators.
- Consult a mechanic. Depending on depth and duration of flooding, other services and repairs may be needed.
File an insurance claim
Contact your car insurance company and have your policy number and contact information ready.