NOLA Ready logo
The City of New Orleans

Tropical Storm Barry

Recovery Information

There was widespread minor flooding on Wednesday July 10th. Find information and tips if your home, vehicle, or business flooded below.

Avoid Hazards

Avoid flood water

Be aware of areas where floodwaters have receded and watch out for debris. Stay away from standing water. It might be electrically charged from underground or downed power lines. 

Report downed power lines

Stay away from downed power lines and report immediately to Entergy at 1-800-ENTERGY (1-800-368-3749) and to 9-1-1.

Report downed trees

Call 3-1-1 or visit to report downed trees in the public right of way. Debris in the roadway that is causing a traffic hazard should be reported to 9-1-1.

Flooded Vehicles

Move stranded vehicles

Residents with stranded vehicles in the middle of the roadway or an intersection are expected to move their vehicles to the side of the road, preferably a parking lane, immediately. To reopen traffic flow, the Department of Public Works has towed some abandoned vehicles blocking roadways. Owners can pick up vehicles free of charge at the Auto Pound Lot at 400 N. Claiborne Ave. The lot hours are 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m. and can be reached by phone at 504-658-8284.

Clean a flooded vehicle

  • Disconnect the battery and do not start the car.
  • Remove standing water from your vehicle's floor using rags, buckets, and/or a dry vacuum. Remove the seats if necessary.
  • Dry out your car interior by air drying or using high-volume fans. Do this as quickly as possible to avoid mold growth.
  • Deodorize your vehicle with baking soda, towels, and a vacuum.
  • Evaluate the extent of the water damage, including controls, electronic system, and dashboard indicators.
  • Consult a mechanic. Depending on depth and duration of flooding, other services and repairs may be needed.

File an insurance claim

Contact your car insurance company and have your policy number and contact information ready.

Clean Your Flooded Home or Business

Clean and clear your belongings

You may be able to salvage the following items with proper care: refrigerators, large appliances, clothes, furniture, leather, rugs and curtains, albums and CD’s, kitchen items, jewelry, photos, tools, sports equipment, toys.

Gut the flooded portions of your home or business

If your home or business experienced flooding greater than 12 inches or if any electrical or mechanical equipment had water, please call the Department of Safety and Permits at 311. Turn off all utilities before beginning to gut. Depending on how high the water came into your home or business, you may need to remove some or all of your sheetrock. Watch detailed instructions for gutting your home provided by the NOLA Tree Project.

Prevent mold

  • Clean wet or moldy surfaces with bleach. 
  • Use fans to dry wet building materials, carpets, and furniture.
  • Throw away anything that you can’t clean or dry quickly.
  • If mold growth is large, contact a licensed mold removal professional.

Get help

For residents who received damage to their home from the widespread flooding on Wednesday July 10th  and need help mucking and gutting, our community partners and nonprofits are on standby to help. Call the Crisis Clean Up Hotline at 1-844-965-1386 to register for cleanup assistanceSBP Recovery Resources

Southeast Louisiana Legal Services can provide legal assistance to tenants who are being evicted or who are being asked to pay for repairs by their landlords due to flooding. Go to  call 504-529-1000 for more information. Walk-ins can visit the SLLS Office (1340 Poydras, Suite 600) on  Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 9am-3pm.

File a Claim for Flood Damage to Your Home or Business

Contact your insurer

After experiencing a flood, contact your agent or insurance company to file a claim. Make sure you have the following information handy:

  • The name of your insurance company
  • Your policy number
  • A telephone and/or email address where you can be reached at all times

An adjuster should contact you within a few days of filing your claim. If you do not hear from an adjuster, you can contact your insurance agent or company again.

Document the damage

Separate damaged from undamaged property. Your adjuster will need evidence of the damage to your home and possessions to prepare your repair estimate.

  • Take photographs of all of the damaged property, including discarded objects, structural damage, and standing floodwater levels.
  • Make a list of damaged or lost items and include their date of purchase, value, and receipts, if possible.

Officials may require disposal of damaged items so, if possible, place flooded items outside of the home.

Complete a proof of loss 

Your adjuster will assist you in preparing a Proof of Loss (which is your sworn statement of the amount you are claiming including necessary supporting documentation) for your official claim for damages. A Proof of Loss can be many things, but must contain the specific details set forth in the Standard Flood Insurance Policy. You'll need to file your Proof of Loss with your insurance company within 60 days of the flood. This document substantiates the insurance claim and is required before the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) or insurance company can make payment.

You'll receive your claim payment after you and the insurer agree on the amount of damages and the insurer has your complete, accurate, and signed Proof of Loss. If major catastrophic flooding occurs, it may take longer to process claims and make payments because of the sheer number of claims submitted.