NOLA Ready logo
The City of New Orleans

Dec 14 Severe Weather

Algiers Tornado Recovery Information

Find information and tips below if your home or business were impacted by the December 14 severe weather or tornado.

Information for Businesses

The Office of Economic Development is asking businesses that were impacted by the December 14 tornadoes to complete this survey to let them know what support is needed.

Post-Tornado Business Survey

Assistance for Residents Available

Mucking, Gutting, Tarping, or Rebuilding

If you have tornado damage and need assistance with tarping, muck and gut, or rebuilding, contact Rebuilding Together New Orleans by calling 504-264-1815.

Disaster Assistance

For disaster assistance, please call the American Red Cross at 1-800-Red Cross (1-800-733-2767).


Disaster Legal Aid

Southeast Louisiana Legal Services can provide legal assistance to individuals impacted by the storm. If you need disaster legal aid, call 1-844-244-7871. This may inlcude LANDLORD-TENANT ISSUES, insurance disputes, and more.

Disaster Mental Health

If you’ve been impacted by the recent tornado and are feeling anxious or overwhelmed, call Metropolitan Human Services District’s crisis line at 504-826-2675.

SAMHSA has a Disaster Distress Helpline—call or text 1-800-985-5990 (for Spanish, press “2”) to be connected to a trained counselor 24/7/365.

Clean up Safely

NOLA Ready guide to cleaning up after safely

Prevent Mold Growth

  • If your home or business experienced flooding greater than 12 inches or if any electrical or mechanical equipment had water, please call the Department of Safety and Permits at 311. 
  • Clean wet or moldy surfaces with bleach. See the guide on the following page for how to safely clean with bleach.
  • Use fans to dry wet building materials, carpets, and furniture.
  • Throw away anything that you can’t clean or dry quickly.
  • If mold growth is large, contact a licensed mold removal professional.

Prevent Mosquito Breeding

  • Remove trash and clutter like old tires, buckets, and tarps. 
  • Empty standing water from containers like pet dishes, children's toys, and flowerpots.
  • Keep water fresh in containers like bird baths and kiddie pools.
  • Clean gutters and catch basins.
  • Call 311 to report illegal dumping, abandoned swimming pools, and water leaks.

Organize Debris for Sanitation Pickup

City has not activated debris removal contracts.  Department of Sanitation, Parks and Parkways and Department of Public Works are facilitating debris removal in the impacted areas.  

  • Only debris generated by December 14th Tornado is eligible for collection by the City.
  • Debris should be placed curbside, in the area between the sidewalk and curb for collection by the City.
  • Debris piles are not to be placed on neutral grounds, next to utility poles, trees, mail boxes, electric or water meters, fire hydrants or blocking any storm drains or travel lanes in the street.
  • Any work done by contractors, including demolition, is ineligible for debris removal services by the City. The property owner is responsible for the removal and disposal of all associated debris.
  • Debris from private projects and home clean-outs should be properly disposed of by the property owner.
  • Regular household garbage and recycling will be picked up on normal collection day.

File a Claim for Flood Damage to Your Home or Business

Read more on how to file an insurance claim.

Start the Claims Process by Contacting Your Insurer

Contact your agent or insurance company to file a claim. Make sure you have the following information handy:

  • The name of your insurance company
  • Your policy number
  • A telephone and/or email address where you can be reached at all times

An adjuster should contact you within a few days of filing your claim. If you do not hear from an adjuster, you can contact your insurance agent or company again.

Document the Damage

Separate damaged from undamaged property. Your adjuster will need evidence of the damage to your home and possessions to prepare your repair estimate.

  • Take photographs of all of the damaged property, including discarded objects, and structural damage.
  • Make a list of damaged or lost items and include their date of purchase, value, and receipts, if possible.

Complete a Proof of Loss to Support Your Claim

Your adjuster will assist you in preparing a Proof of Loss (which is your sworn statement of the amount you are claiming including necessary supporting documentation) for your official claim for damages. You'll need to file your Proof of Loss with your insurance company within 60 days of the incident.