Jan 24 Severe Weather
Tips for High Wind Warning:
The National Weather Service has issued an enhanced risk of severe weather this evening into early Wednesday morning. All modes of severe weather are possible including damaging winds, large hail and tornadoes.
A high wind warning is in effect for winds 30-40 mph with gusts in excess of 50 mph from noon today, January 24, 2023 through 6 a.m. on Wednesday, January 25, 2023.
Here are some tips to keep in mind when you're in a threat of high winds:
- Don't drive unless absolutely necessary. Be very cautious driving and avoid driving high-profile vehicles.
- Don't use cruise control. You need to be able to react quickly to traffic/road conditions.
- Give yourself extra time to reach your destination.
- Always allow extra space since stoppig distances increase on wet roadways.
- If you begin to hydroplane, let off the accelerator and gently steer in the direction you with to travel. Do not brake or steer abruptly.
- Stay away from trees when possible.
- Bring any loose outdoor items such as holiday decorations and chairs into the garage or house, or securely tie them up. Beside the risk of these items being blown away or damaged, airborne debris can be dangerous.
- Make sure your smartphone is fully charged before the strongest winds arrive in case you lose power.