NOLA Ready logo
The City of New Orleans

May 12 Storms

Stranded Vehicles

Move stranded vehicles

Stranded vehicles and debris are making some intersections impassable. Residents with stranded vehicles in the middle of the roadway or an intersection are expected to move their vehicles to the side of the road, preferably a parking lane, immediately.

Courtesy towing

To reopen traffic flow, the Department of Public Works (DPW) and the New Orleans Police Department may have to "courtesy tow" vehicles. If the vehicle owner is present when tow truck arrives, DPW will tow the vehicle to the nearest area of safety. If the vehicle owner is not present, DPW will tow the vehicle to the City's Auto Pound lot at 400 N. Claiborne Ave. Owners must present  identification to pick up their vehicles. The lot hours are 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m. There is no charge for this service.

File an insurance claim

Contact your car insurance company and have your policy number and contact information ready.


Clean up Safely

NOLA Ready guide to cleaning up after safely

Prevent Mold Growth

  • Clean wet or moldy surfaces with bleach. See the guide on the following page for how to safely clean with bleach. 
  • Use fans to dry wet building materials, carpets, and furniture.
  • Throw away anything that you can’t clean or dry quickly.
  • If mold growth is large, contact a licensed mold removal professional.

Prevent Mosquito Breeding

  • Remove trash and clutter like old tires, buckets, and tarps.  
  • Empty standing water from containers like pet dishes, children's toys, and flowerpots. 
  • Keep water fresh in containers like bird baths and kiddie pools.
  • Clean gutters and catch basins.
  • Call 311 to report illegal dumping, abandoned swimming pools, and water leaks.

Organize Debris for Sanitation Pickup

Sanitation collection will occur as scheduled. For properties eligible for collection by the City:

  • During the 2nd collection this week, the Sanitation Department will pick up bulky waste including debris, carpeting and other large items. Residents are encouraged to inform 311 of bulky waste pickup needs. 
  • Tree limbs, branches and carpeting must be cut in four feet (or less) lengths and bundled. Tree limbs cannot be more than 12 inches in diameter.
  • Leaves should be bagged and the bags secured. 

File a Claim for Flood Damage to Your Home or Business

Read more on how to file a claim from FEMA.

Start the Claims Process by Contacting Your Insurer 

After experiencing a flood, contact your agent or insurance company to file a claim. Make sure you have the following information handy:

  • The name of your insurance company
  • Your policy number
  • A telephone and/or email address where you can be reached at all times

An adjuster should contact you within a few days of filing your claim. If you do not hear from an adjuster, you can contact your insurance agent or company again.

Document the Damage 

Separate damaged from undamaged property. Your adjuster will need evidence of the damage to your home and possessions to prepare your repair estimate.

  • Take photographs of all of the damaged property, including discarded objects, structural damage, and standing floodwater levels.
  • Make a list of damaged or lost items and include their date of purchase, value, and receipts, if possible.
  • Officials may require disposal of damaged items so, if possible, place flooded items outside of the home.

Complete a Proof of Loss to Support Your Claim 

Your adjuster will assist you in preparing a Proof of Loss (which is your sworn statement of the amount you are claiming including necessary supporting documentation) for your official claim for damages. A Proof of Loss can be many things, but must contain the specific details set forth in the Standard Flood Insurance Policy. You'll need to file your Proof of Loss with your insurance company within 60 days of the flood. This document substantiates the insurance claim and is required before the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) or insurance company can make payment.

You'll receive your claim payment after you and the insurer agree on the amount of damages and the insurer has your complete, accurate, and signed Proof of Loss. If major catastrophic flooding occurs, it may take longer to process claims and make payments because of the sheer number of claims submitted.

Assistance for Residents Available

Community organizations are our partners in preparedness and response. Link with them directly for more info on volunteer opportunities and available assistance.

Rebuilding Together New Orleans

Rebuilding Together New Orleans helps homeowners with critical home repair services by utilizing volunteers. If your home received damage and you need help, contact them at 504-581-7032. 

NOLA Tree Project

NOLA Tree Project can coordinate volunteers, tools, and cleaning supplies to help with cleanup activities. Contact them for volunteer opportunities or to request assistance. Email them at, or call 504-415-8434. 

HandsOn New Orleans

HandsOn New Orleans Volunteer Center can help homeowners in the clean-up process by recruiting volunteer teams to assist. Contact Kayla Woods at kayla@handsonneworleans.orgfor more information. 

American Red Cross

The Red Cross can offer clean up kits for minimal flooding. If you had more than 18 inches, please contact the Red Cross at 1-800-733-2767 for additional assistance.

Cajun Army

If you need assistance with cleanup, sign up on the website at

United Saints Recovery Project

The United Saints Recovery Project helps residents impacted by disaster through mucking and gutting and rebuilding efforts. Contact them if you require assistance at, or via phone at 504-233-8883.  

Southeast Louisiana Legal Services

Southeast Louisiana Legal Services can provide legal assistance to tenants who are being evicted or who are being asked to pay for repairs by their landlords due to flooding. Go to or call 504-529-1000.