Freeze Activation Resources for Unhoused Individuals (Dec. 22 - Dec. 26)
- The New Orleans Health Department and Office of Community Development are working closely with homeless service providers to assess the needs of our unhoused populations.
- The following shelters will be available and have extended their services to be 24/7:
- Ozanam Inn, 2239 Poydras Street, accepting men and women
- The New Orleans Mission, 1130 Oretha Castle Haley Blvd., accepting men and women
- Salvation Army, 4526 S. Claiborne Avenue, accepting men and women. Entry fees are waived during the freeze
- New Orleans Women and Children Shelter (families), outreach teams will call to accept families
- City’s Low Barrier Shelter, 1530 Gravier Street, accepting men and women
- Concerned Citizens for a Better Algiers, 1409 Nunez Street
- Covenant House, 611 N. Rampart Street, accepting youth 16 – 22 years old (will accept a single parent with kids during the freeze)
If you know of unhoused individuals in need of shelter during this freeze, contact 311.
How does the City of New Orleans handle these calls for this freezing weather?
The Office of Community Development oversees homeless services coordinations. Under OCD's leadership and guidance, 311 call operators will connect unhoused individuals with NOPD & NOEMS’ Homeless Outreach team to transport them towards:
1) an existing homeless shelter with bed capacity OR
2) one of the three overnight Warming Centers.