Air Quality Alert Issued for New Orleans Friday Aug. 24
The New Orleans Health Department (NOHD) is advising residents that an Air Quality Alert has been issued for New Orleans on Friday, August 24th from 6am to Midnight.
The Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality (LDEQ) has raised the Air Quality Index to orange, indicating that the air quality is unhealthy for sensitive groups including active children and adults, the elderly and people with respiratory diseases, such as asthma. These groups should avoid prolonged outdoor activities and exertion.
Residents are encouraged to take the following actions to help reduce the formation of ozone:
• Drive less and make sure your gas cap is tight.
• Refuel your vehicle, mow grass, and use gas powered lawn equipment after 6 p.m.
• Postpone work that uses oil based paint, varnishes, and solvents that produce fumes.
• Use an electric starter instead of starter fluid to barbecue.
• Conserve energy in your home.
For more information, visit LDEQ's website: http://deq.louisiana.gov/.