City Activates Freeze Plan for the Homeless
Today, the City of New Orleans will activate the Citywide Freeze Plan in anticipation of cold weather. The National Weather Service predicts that temperatures, factoring in windchill, will drop below the threshold of 35 degrees Fahrenheit for more than four hours overnight Sunday, Dec. 9, triggering the activation of the freeze plan. The coldest period is forecast to be in the early morning hours of Monday, Dec. 10, with “feels like” temperatures at 32 degrees. Residents and visitors are advised to take precautions during cold weather.
Shelter for the Homeless
The City is activating the freeze plan beginning the evening of Sunday, Dec. 9 and ending the morning of Monday, Dec. 10. The freeze plan will be in effect to provide temporary overnight shelter for homeless residents. The public is asked to call the New Orleans Police Department non-emergency number, 504-821-2222, to report someone in need of shelter.
Individuals needing shelter will be accepted, free of charge, at the following locations under the following conditions:
- Low Barrier Shelter, 1530 Gravier St., will accept adults beginning at 8 p.m.
- The Salvation Army, 4530 S. Claiborne Ave., will accept men and women beginning at 4 p.m.
- Ozanam Inn, 843 Camp St., will accept men beginning at 4 p.m.
- Covenant House, 611 N. Rampart St.,will accept anyone between the ages of 16 to 21, their dependent children, and any women with dependent minor children. Open 24/7.
- New Orleans Mission, 1130 Oretha Castle Haley Blvd., will accept men and women beginning at 4 p.m.
For more information on winter weather preparedness, visit http://ready.nola.gov/winter/.