NOLA Ready logo
The City of New Orleans

Heavy Rain, August 25-26 Updates

Aug 27
11:27 AM
Heavy Rain, August 25-26

Recovery Information

There was widespread minor flooding on Monday August 26th. Find information and tips if your home, vehicle, or business flooded below.

Stranded Vehicles

Move Stranded Vehicles

The Department of Public Works will continue to remove stranded vehicles that are making roadways impassable. Residents whose vehicles have been moved should call 3-1-1 for information on retrieval. Residents with stranded vehicles that are impeding the roadway are expected to move their vehicles to the side of the road, preferably a parking lane, immediately.

File an insurance claim

Contact your car insurance company and have your policy number and contact information ready.

File A Claim For Flood Damage For Your Home Or Business

Read more on how to file a claim from FEMA.

Start the Claims Process by Contacting Your Insurer

After experiencing a flood, contact your agent or insurance company to file a claim. Make sure you have the following information handy:

  • The name of your insurance company
  • Your policy number
  • A telephone and/or email address where you can be reached at all times

An adjuster should contact you within a few days of filing your claim. If you do not hear from an adjuster, you can contact your insurance agent or company again.

Document the Damage

Separate damaged from undamaged property. Your adjuster will need evidence of the damage to your home and possessions to prepare your repair estimate.

  • Take photographs of all of the damaged property, including discarded objects, structural damage, and standing floodwater levels.
  • Make a list of damaged or lost items and include their date of purchase, value, and receipts, if possible.
  • Officials may require disposal of damaged items so, if possible, place flooded items outside of the home.

Complete a Proof of Loss to Support Your Claim

Your adjuster will assist you in preparing a Proof of Loss (which is your sworn statement of the amount you are claiming including necessary supporting documentation) for your official claim for damages. A Proof of Loss can be many things, but must contain the specific details set forth in the Standard Flood Insurance Policy. You'll need to file your Proof of Loss with your insurance company within 60 days of the flood. This document substantiates the insurance claim and is required before the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) or insurance company can make payment.

You'll receive your claim payment after you and the insurer agree on the amount of damages and the insurer has your complete, accurate, and signed Proof of Loss.

Clean Up Safely

Click here for tips from the NOLA Ready Guide to Cleaning Up

Prevent Mold Growth

  • If your home or business experienced flooding greater than 12 inches or if any electrical or mechanical equipment had water, please call the Department of Safety and Permits at 311.
  • Clean wet or moldy surfaces with bleach.
  • Use fans to dry wet building materials, carpets, and furniture.
  • Throw away anything that you can’t clean or dry quickly.
  • If mold growth is large, contact a licensed mold removal professional.

Prevent Mosquito Breeding

  • Remove trash and clutter like old tires, buckets, and tarps.
  • Empty standing water from containers like pet dishes, children's toys, and flowerpots.
  • Keep water fresh in containers like bird baths and kiddie pools.
  • Clean gutters and catch basins.
  • Call 311 to report illegal dumping, abandoned swimming pools, and water leaks.


  • Please gather up any garbage and place in trash bins for regular garbage collection.
  • Small and Large businesses are not eligible for removal of bulky waste or disaster-related debris by the City or its contractors.  Any debris generated by a contractor for residential or commercial properties is also ineligible for collection by the City.  Private arrangements must be made for collection and disposal.