City Activates Freeze Plan Ahead of Cold Weather
In anticipation of cold weather, the City of New Orleans will activate the Citywide Freeze Plan from 8:00 a.m. Tuesday, Nov. 12 through 11:00 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 13. A strong cold front will move through the region late Monday, bringing the coldest air of the season. Temperatures will drop overnight and, factoring in wind chill, will remain below the threshold of 35 degrees Fahrenheit Tuesday evening through Wednesday morning, triggering the activation of the freeze plan. The National Weather Service predicts the coldest period to be early Wednesday with "feels like" temperatures in the mid 20s for several hours.
Cold Weather Preparedness
Residents and visitors are encouraged to take precautions to protect people, pets, and plants during cold weather, using these tips:
- Stay inside in heat during extreme cold.
- If you are homeless, seek shelter. During extreme cold, the citywide freeze plan will offer free shelter for homeless residents.
- If you have to go outside, wear layers, a hat & gloves and carry a cell phone.
- Check on neighbors, children, the elderly & chronically ill to make sure they are okay.
- Bring pets and plants inside.
PRACTICE FIRE SAFETY & PREPARE YOUR HOME
- Never leave space heaters unattended.
- Never use a stove or an oven to heat your home.
- Check your smoke & carbon monoxide detectors to be sure they are working.
- Have a fire extinguisher and know how to use it.
Shelter for the Homeless
The freeze plan will be in effect to provide temporary shelter for homeless residents. The public is asked to call the New Orleans Police Department non-emergency number, 504-821-2222, to report someone in need of shelter.
Individuals needing shelter will be accepted, free of charge, at the following locations under the following conditions:
- Low Barrier Shelter, 1530 Gravier St., will accept adults beginning at 8 p.m. Tuesday
- The Salvation Army, 4530 S. Claiborne Ave., will accept adults beginning at 4 p.m. Tuesday
- Ozanam Inn, 843 Camp St., will accept men beginning at 4 p.m. Tuesday for overnight shelter. The courtyard with heaters is open 24/7 to anyone.
- Covenant House, 611 N. Rampart St., will accept individuals age 22 and under, their dependent children, and any women with dependent minor children. Open 24/7.
- New Orleans Mission, 1130 Oretha Castle Haley Blvd., will accept adults beginning at 4 p.m. Tuesday.
- Community Resource and Referral Center, 1530 Gravier St., will accept adults from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Tuesday.
- The Rebuild Center, 1803 Gravier St., will accept adults from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Tuesday.