City of New Orleans Monitors Tropical Storm Beta
The New Orleans Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness is monitoring Tropical Storm Beta, which is currently forecast to move slowly westward and begin turning northeastward mid-week. Beta’s track and intensity remain uncertain, but regardless, prolonged rain today through next week is forecast in New Orleans. Additionally, a Coastal Flood Advisory is in effect for areas outside of the levee system.
Residents are encouraged to prepare for heavy rain and potential tropical impacts. Text BETANOLA to 888777 for updates from the City of New Orleans.
Clean your property and street:
- Remove debris from gutters and downspouts.
- Clear debris from catch basins. Report clogged catch basins to 311.
- Prune trees and shrubs.
- Bring outdoor furniture and decorations inside.
- Secure or bring garbage bins inside.
- Move possessions to your highest floor.
- Photograph your property for insurance purposes.
Gather what you’ll need to shelter in place:
- Non-perishable food for 3 days
- 3 gallons of water per person
- Manual can opener
- Flashlight & extra batteries
- Matches or lighter
- First Aid Kit
- Week’s supply of prescription medications
- Radio (battery operated or hand crank)
- Books & games
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, you should also include face coverings, hand sanitizer, and disinfectants in your home kit to prevent the spread during recovery activities.