NOLA Ready logo
The City of New Orleans

Hurricane Zeta Updates

Jan 13
5:36 PM
Hurricane Zeta

City Announces FEMA Individual Assistance Programs for Hurricane Zeta Losses

Today, the City of New Orleans announced that homeowners, renters, and business owners in Orleans Parish who experienced uninsured losses due to Hurricane Zeta may be eligible for federal disaster assistance. 

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) designated six parishes in Southeast Louisiana, including Orleans Parish, as eligible for Individual Assistance programs under the Major Disaster Declaration for damage and losses suffered from Hurricane Zeta between Oct. 26 and 29, 2020. The other parishes include Jefferson, Lafourche, Plaquemines, St. Bernard and Terrebonne. 

Disaster Assistance

Disaster assistance may include grants for temporary housing and home repairs, low-cost disaster loans to cover uninsured property losses, and other programs to help individuals and businesses recover from the effects of the disaster. FEMA is unable to duplicate insurance payments. However, those without insurance, or those who may be underinsured, may still receive help after their insurance claims have been settled.

Homeowners and renters who suffered damage from Hurricane Zeta should register with FEMA and apply for federal disaster assistance as soon as possible. The deadline to register for assistance for Hurricane Zeta is March 15, 2021.

Register with FEMA by:

  • Going online at;
  • Downloading the FEMA app; or
  • Calling the helpline: 800-621-3362 or TTY 800-462-7585. The toll-free telephone lines operate from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week.

You will need to have the following available when you register:

  • A current phone number where you can be contacted;
  • Your address at the time of the disaster and the address where you are now staying;
  • Your Social Security number, if available; and
  • If insured, the insurance policy number or your insurance agent and company

SBA Loans

U.S. Small Business Administration Disaster Loans are also available to businesses, homeowners and renters. Loans are available:

  • For businesses of any size and nonprofits for up to $2 million for property damage.
  • For small businesses, small businesses engaged in aquaculture and most nonprofits: up to $2 million for working capital needs even if they had no property damage, with a $2 million maximum loan for any combination of property damage and working-capital needs.
  • For homeowners: up to $200,000 to repair or replace their primary residence.
  • For homeowners and renters: up to $40,000 to replace personal property, including vehicles.

Businesses and residents can apply online at For questions and assistance completing an application, call 800-659-2955 or email