Sewerage and Water Board of New Orleans Provides Winter Weather Update
The Sewerage and Water Board of New Orleans updates residents on what to do after a hard freeze. As we climb out of freezing temperatures, starting at 9:30 a.m., SWBNO advises residents to discontinue running water from faucets to protect pipes.
What Residents Should Do After a Freeze
- Thoroughly inspect your property
- If you have a broken pipe or leak
- Call a licensed plumber immediately
- Turn off and drain water in your house by locating the main line from your water meter. Turn off the valve that enters your house.
- Then run all your indoor faucets to drain water from your pipes.
- Disconnect garden hoses and hoses to your washing machine.
- Failing to swiftly address a broken pipe will cause further damage and impact your water bill.
When to Call 52-WATER
Our Customer Service Call Center will be staffed throughout the winter weather event. We encourage residents to call 52-WATER to report water main breaks in the public right-of-way. For any water line breaks on private property, please call a licensed plumber.
It will take a citywide effort to get through this freeze. We urge all residents to adhere to these guidelines. For more information on how to “Fight the Freeze” visit our website at swbno.org and follow us on social media at @SWBNewOrleans.