Tornado Watch Issued, Flash Flood Watch Remains in Effect
The National Weather Service has issued a tornado watch for parts of Southeast Louisiana and Mississippi, including the New Orleans area, until 6 p.m. That means severe thunderstorms and tornadoes are possible. The flash flood watch remains in effect. Residents are encouraged to remain weather aware and to review storm preparedness.
In the event of a tornado warning:
Seek shelter immediately!
- If you’re in a building, go to an interior room on the lowest level, like a closet or bathroom.
- Stay away from windows, doors, and outside walls.
If outside, protect yourself
- Try to drive to the closest sturdy shelter.
- Take cover in a parked car.
- Lie in an area lower than the level of the roadway.
Cover your head
- Cover your head with your arms. Most injuries come from flying debris.